Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Cookies.

It has a been a hectic time in my life since my last post, but when is it ever calm this time of year. Today, after a tense kind of morning I decided to come home and bake Christmas cookies to cheer myself up.

I decided to make two different types of cookies. The first were gingerbread people. I make these every year and almost always end up with several dozen of them - and that's after packing them up to be gifted. My version of gingerbread doesn't have allspice, nutmeg or cinnamon in it. It is super simple with ground ginger, golden syrup, flour, brown sugar and bicarbonate soda (and of course, butter). I much prefer this toned down, less spicy version of gingerbread.

This is them fresh out of the oven...


Then I gave them faces...


And here they are ready to be sent off as Christmas gifts.


The second type of cookie is a classic shortbread. The recipe of course comes from none other than the great Ina Garten (aka Barefoot Contessa), who generally inspires most my baking endeavors. These a Christmas-y in the sense that they are made into Christmas-related shapes, i.e. bells, angels, stars and Christmas trees. Aside from that they are pretty ordinary cookies. I varied some of them by drizzling them with some dark chocolate (as per Ms. Garten's suggestion).


No comments:

Post a Comment