Saturday, November 20, 2010

I wonder...

The past couple of weeks of my life can only be summed up as being absolutely chaotic. When my life gets as crazy and chaotic as it has been (this past week in particular) there are two ways I react. I either get mildly hysterical and anxious about everything or I adopt this weird, eerily calm demeanor. At the moment I'm in that place of calm, but what usually happens during this weird period of calmness, is that I get incredibly contemplative and ponder the really strange and insignificant things in life.

This past week as I travelled along the M2 (for those of you unfamiliar with this road, it's a major motorway that travels through the north/north-western suburbs of Sydney). I've travelled this motorway almost everyday for 4 years and there's one thing that I've often wondered about. In morning peak hour when you get onto the M2, heading towards the City, you are lucky to be able to travel 5km/hr. Most of the time the traffic is at a stand-still. And then you reach the Epping tunnel and BAM! Everyone is suddenly able to speed up and drive on the max. speed of 100km/hr.

I don't get it. How can everyone be inching along at 5km/hr for kilometres and kilometres, and then two-seconds later (as you exit the tunnel) everyone is able to drive at 100km/hr. Where does all the traffic go? Does some Fringe-like occurrence happen whereby half the cars are sucked into a parallel universe, therefore freeing up space on the motorway so that the traffic can resume normal speeds?

It's pretty random, but I've thought about this on occasion the past 4 years, but in my contemplative state this week it really got me thinking. I'm sure there's a logical explanation. I just wonder what it is.

NB: For those of you unfamiliar with Fringe, I'm referring to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment