Thursday, November 11, 2010

Too busy or just plain lazy?

I'm sitting here thinking about the failure of the exercise regime that I started last month (here). I went cycling about 2 or 3 times and then it just fell apart. I've been blaming it on my busy schedule - between exams and work I just do not have the time. But today as I got thinking about it I realised I am like the thousands of other people out there who constantly vow to get fit and then always make excuses to avoid actually doing it (in other words, it would seem I am just plain lazy).

I'm still determined to get fit and healthy, and I keep telling myself that come the 29th of November I'll be free to pursue this goal of getting healthier. However, I'm slowly starting to feel as sense of despair and lack of faith in myself as I sit here analysing all my previous failed attempts.

A couple of years ago I joined a gym. It cost me around $250 and I told myself that the fact that I had forked out money in pursuit of fitness would encourage and motivate me to drag myself to the gym every day. For a while I went kind-of regularly (by regularly I mean once a week, or sometimes once a fortnight). I took a couple of personal training sessions, and I even went to a yoga class (once)...and then began the reasons why I couldn't go. There was studying and work to be done. I'll go tomorrow I would tell myself, but then I would tell myself the same thing the next day and the next - until it had been several months since I had gone to the gym. Part of me felt bad. As a uni student money is a scarce and valuable commodity, and $250 was a lot of money to pay for something that I was no longer using. Eventually I gave my gym membership to my sister, who must have inherited the patience, motivation and determination that I seem to lack when it comes to exercising and leading a healthier lifestyle.

Reflecting upon my past attempts to institute an exercise regime into my life, it's clear that my excuses of simply being too busy are just that, excuses. I am simply lazy. The challenge for me now is to figure out a way to overcome this laziness - because one day I WILL succeed in sticking it through an exercise regime...if of course my schedule allows it :P

No comments:

Post a Comment