Thursday, November 4, 2010

LA

Since I'm super stressed out at the moment with exams, all I can think about is how much I want to be overseas asap! So I thought I'd procrastinate and take a trip down memory lane in the process...the destination - LA!

First stop of our trip to the USA earlier this year was the lovely city of Los Angeles.


However, unlike NYC I feel it necessary to add, that I do not love LA...I kind of like it. As my sister would agree, our time in LA did not start out on the right note. It consisted of a pretty nerve-wrecking journey on the LA suburban metro system. Now I'm not saying that the trains are all bad, but travelling from the airport on them may not have been the best of ideas, as it takes you on a journey which consists of 3 train changes and many stops through slightly unsavoury parts of town.


By the time we had reached Hollywood and Vine I was close to tears (I may or may not have broken out into sobs...maybe) and my sister looked like she wanted to murder me for ever having suggested catching the train into Hollywood - especially when the concierge had even warned us against it. The journey had seen us come across a slightly, crazy ranting guy who looked like he could (and would) kill you if you so much as made eye contact with him. Then there was "bug man" who was a homeless guy that was asking for money to get medicine for the bugs that he had (I think he meant knits) and all the locals on that particular train starting freaking out...so I did too! It didn't help that, from the the perplexed looks on our faces to the Qantas Frequent Flyer member tag hanging off our bags, we screamed TOURIST!

So we arrived at Hollywood and were stumped as to what our next move should be...we were at the beginning of the Hollywood Walk of Fame but by beginning I mean nowhere near the tourist-y parts of town like the Kodak Theatre or Grauman's Chinese Theatre...we were literally at the brink between Hollywood and the notorious Downtown LA area (where I'm told even locals don't go unless they have to). We stumbled into one of those tourist tour bus type places (and normally I avoid these tour groups as they tend to rip you off). However, the owner was so sympathetic towards us - what with me having been in tears and my sister in a thunderous mood - so he let us on the tour for a really low price. I think we may have paid just $20! And it sure was the best $20 we spent. The tour guide took us to all the famous places (and even historical, yet not typical tourist places) including -

Kodak Theatre

Grauman's Chinese Theatre

Paramount Pictures Studios

We saw and did a fair bit during our time in LA but my favourite place, by far, was The Grove "Shopping and Entertainment Resort" which is located at the famous Farmer's Market.


This place is THE ULTIMATE for shopping and has fantastic places to eat (not to mention a great-looking cinema if you have time to check out a movie). You can easily spend a day at this place and not even notice!

Overall, LA is a pretty cool place to visit (even if I do not love it as much as NYC), and it's not a bad place if you like to celeb-spot :P I would definitely go back but maybe just for a stopover kind-of holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment