Friday, September 10, 2010

Morning Tea...

...was a success! The cakes were delicious. Okay, well I'm skeptical about my chocolate cake. My family loved it but they're my family so they always love everything I make.

This morning I woke up early and returned to the kitchen to finish the cakes.



Unfortunately I ran out of icing sugar so had to skip icing the sides of the Carrot Cake. Needless to say I am not entirely happy about this. In addition to the cakes, we had a super sweet dessert called Gulab Jamun. It's a popular dessert from the Indian Subcontinent, and is a dough that is fried (a bit like donuts) and then put into a sugar syrup. It is so, so sweet, but so incredibly delicious! My mother is a master at making these, I definitely do not have the patience for the process.


Despite being absolutely exhausted from yesterday, I decided to make little cheesy puffs since the morning tea spread was severely lacking in savoury food. They were an absolute hit for something that took less than 15 minutes to pull together. But then again who doesn't love cheese and pastry.

(NB: I did in fact make more than this!)

We were only expecting cousin R and her mum to join us for morning tea, but in a surprising turn of events another couple of relatives dropped by. In an even stranger turn of events my mother had set an extra couple of places at the table for "no reason at all" other than to have some spare plates and cutlery should we need them. It all worked out well, lots of sugar was consumed (well, on my part anyway) and entertaining conversations were had.

I've had a couple of hours to relax a bit, and now another guest has arrived for afternoon tea. The beauty, of course, is that there is such an excess of food that no extra work is required :P

No comments:

Post a Comment