Wednesday, August 18, 2010

On a more serious note...

Okay, so this blog post has been a couple days in the making. I've been having trouble trying to come up with the right words to express what I'm thinking and feeling about certain recent world events. I'm sitting here finishing up my human rights law readings for the week, and each time I read an article I am left reeling with a sense of incredible sadness, which has only been compounded by current events in the world.

Growing up I've always been the strong one in my family, I hardly ever cry when sad things happen (not because I don't feel emotion but because I've always been good at keeping it in). I definitely DO NOT cry in front of others.

But recently (or rather in recent years) something has changed, the more aware I've become of the world's problems, and the suffering of millions living in poverty-stricken conditions, and the inherent human rights abuses occurring every second around the world, I've become a sap. I cannot help it, but every time I see someone who is suffering or in need I get really emotional (ask any one of my family members and they'll agree). I know that it's impossible for me to single-handedly fix the world's problems (although I wish I could) but if I can simply help bring about awareness of various issues, then I think that is one simple (albeit small) move in the right direction.

This past week has made me particularly sad as I've read about and watched images of the devastation caused by the floods in Pakistan. The suffering is heartbreaking, and while part of me feels like breaking down in tears the other part of me is confused at the bureaucracy that does nothing to help those in need.

Just this week, Ban Ki-Moon the United Nations Secretary General visited the affected areas and proclaimed it to be one of the worst natural disasters in a while (even worse than the Haiti earthquakes and the Boxing Day Tsunami of 2004), and urged the need for faster aid and assistance. Many nations, including Australia have already committed foreign aid and have sent food, shelter, medical supplies and the man power needed to help those affected. What angers me, however, is how heartless and ignorant the government of Pakistan is. Sure they've got their army helping foreign aid agencies like the Red Cross (and Crescent) but their leader is busy traipsing off on foreign visits, instead of staying in the country that needs him most during this devastating time.

It's all so incredibly sad :( There are many articles on the floods, but this one was particularly sad to read and look at...it's available here but I must warn the pictures are absolutely heartbreaking.

Donations are currently being taken via the United Nations (UNHCR) website here and the Red Cross website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment