Wednesday, August 18, 2010

More Book Stuff.

So, after days and days of waiting I FINALLY received another of my recent online purchases in the mail.


A part of me hoped it was the lovely new clothes and shoes I couldn't resist buying over the weekend, but that was wishful on my part. It turned out to be parcel #2 of the books I recently ordered, containing the box set of Percy Jackson and The Olympians by Rick Riordan.


I can't wait to get reading this series!

Of course it'll have to wait until I finish all the books lent to me by my friend S. I'm currently (and, I must admit, very slowly) making my way through the Inheritance Series by Christopher Paolini, but while I take a short break from them I'm reading the recently released Linger by Maggie Stiefvater.


Linger is the sequel to Shiver and falls under the Twilight-esque genre that I mused about in an earlier post. This series centres around the mythical world of werewolves. It's not a bad read and despite my criticisms, I do like it - I even took to recommending it to people while working at the bookstore recently.

My only criticisms (well, the ones I can think of at the moment) are that at times I found the first book to have moments where the story assumed a very slow pace. I also found the main character Grace to be a bit hard to sympathise with at times, particularly in regards to the idea of her "falling in love" with the werewolf (Sam), and having been in"love" with him since the age of 7 - which just sounds a bit absurd. The tone of Linger changes rather dramatically by comparison, and although still somewhat focused on Grace and Sam's relationship, it has a bit more mystery, with new and interesting characters - basically more story.

All in all, it is an addictive read, and once you read the first book you will want to see the series through. It's definitely one of the better books of the genre out there at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment