Friday, July 9, 2010

Important Lessons I Learnt Today

I am sitting here writing this blog with one hand, and while it is taking me twice as long to type out words, I think the two lessons I learnt today are very important and should be used as a warning to others to not follow in my foot steps.

Lesson #1

DO NOT store glass bottles on the edges of shelves. They WILL be knocked over eventually and not only can you potentially get cut by the shards of glass, you will lose the contents of the bottle (which in today's case were of great value) and cleaning up glass is simply annoying.

Lesson #2

Now the incident from which I learnt this invaluable lesson is one that has caused me excruciating pain, though typing this blog one-handed is challenging enough to distract me from the pain, even if only for a brief moment.

This lesson is also a reminder of why one should never attempt DIY projects, even if a manual gives seemingly clear instructions and instills a previously non-existent sense of self-confidence in oneself.

After unpacking an early birthday present from my parents - a lovely new Emporio Armani watch - I decided the diagrams illustrating how to adjust and remove the metal links from the watch seemed simple enough. Only now do I realise how wrong I was.

Out came the screw drivers and I set about tapping the metal pins out of the links, it seemed easy enough. Success. Removing the links from one side was complete.

So on I continued. And that was when disaster struck. Battling with a particularly stubborn pin I tapped and tapped and tapped. The pin finally relented. Oh, how it relented. It came out the other side and pierced straight into my right index finger. It was at that precise moment I realised why there are professional watch repair people in the world.

After speaking to the lovely medical professionals on the Health Direct Australia hotline, the bleeding has finally stopped. And tomorrow before I can begin all the fun things I had planned, I'll be waiting at my doctor's office for a tetanus shot.

So people heed my warning: DO NOT attempt to DIY where metal objects are concerned. Do not even think about it!! Even when there is a diagram that makes it all look so simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment