Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Big Apple

Okay so while the thrill and intrigue of blogging is still fresh I thought I'd start out by posting about one of my absolute favourite places in the world..

This year has by far been one of the most exciting of my life, and it all began with an unforgettable trip to the USA. Whilst the entire adventure was strewn with many highlights (and the occasional scary travel moment - which of course make for great and funny stories after the fact) the place that will forever hold a place in my heart is New York City.

There are not enough words to describe how exciting and brilliant this eclectic haven of a city is. So instead of rambling and repeating myself, I thought I'd share some of my pics.


I begin with a picture of the wondrous snowfall that I had the great fortune of experiencing, and made my time in the City absolutely magical. While the locals no doubt would think it crazy to say that walking around in a blizzard was fun, it was something I have never experienced...so yes it was fun :)


This picture is a beautiful view overlooking Manhattan and featuring the Empire State Building. The droves of tourists typically flock to the Empire State Building observation decks, but I personally think the Top of the Rock (30 Rockefeller Centre) is the place to be. Not only do you get magnificent views which include the iconic Empire State Building, there are significantly lesser crowds, which make for a more enjoyable and relaxing experience.


With NYC being one of the fashion capitals of the world I cannot express how excited I was to be able to be in the City during New York fashion week. Admittedly, fashion week makes it harder to get around town as you can NEVER get a taxi, but the buzz the fashion crowds create make it so much fun, and with my love of all things fashion I was happy to have experienced NYC during this crazy, crazy week. The above pic is of Bryant Park (and a small glimpse of the craziness and crowds of fashion week). Sadly, from next year fashion week will have a new home, away from Bryant Park :(


Then there was the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which we had the crazy idea of walking to and for us ended up being a trek across the entire island of Manhattan (not joking). It was worth it though. I must admit a small part of me couldn't help but think of Gossip Girl, no matter how hard I tried not to.


Times Square. There's not much to say except this place is ALWAYS busy. There are people everywhere, all the time.


Leaving the best experience I had during my time in NYC for last is my visit to Liberty Island. Lady Liberty is enormous, and seeing this icon that just screams NEW YORK!! was absolutely breathtakingly incredible. We had the great fortune of securing tickets to climb the 354 steps up to the Crown. And while my feet and legs ached later that day it was worth it!! Sometimes I think I dreamt the trip to the Statue of Liberty it was so surreal.

My trip to New York is something I'll never forget, and I can now truly understand why it has captured the hearts of millions. There is quite frankly no other city in the world quite like it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment